Message from the Chair
The Integrated Medical Science Department is committed to help our College achieve a new level of excellence by creating synergies between our teaching, research, clinical, and service missions, and further building inter-professional collaboration throughout the University. I want to use my time as Department Chair to create a collegial environment and resources that foster and promote the growth, professional development, academic success, and job satisfaction of faculty and staff throughout the College in order to achieve our goals.
Our goals are to:
- Deliver to medical students and residents an integrated, innovative educational program of basic and clinical science that prepares them for self-directed, life-long learning, and emphasizes the knowledge, skills, and attitudes required to practice high-quality, patient-centered, and evidence-based medicine in an increasingly diverse healthcare environment
- Advance innovation and discovery through basic, translational, clinical, and quality improvement research involving medical students, residents, and faculty from other Departments and Colleges throughout the University
- Contribute to the provision and continuous improvement of healthcare in our community, state, and nation
- Promote and develop effective collaborations among basic and clinical scientists, medical and surgical specialties, and health professionals from diverse backgrounds; as well as among University and community-based faculty
The Department has already played a critical role in the remarkable achievements of the College over last three years, including:
- Accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education;
- Implementation of our innovative 1st and 2nd year curricula;
- Above average national board exam scores;
- The creation and initiation of two 6-month longitudinal integrated curricula for 3rd year students and over 100 rotations for 4th year students in multiple community settings involving hundreds of community-based faculty;
- Development of a five-hospital consortium for Graduate Medical Education and implementation of an ACGME accredited Internal Medicine Residency Program.
I look forward to working with our faculty, students, residents, and our leadership team to continue to build on these achievements over the coming years.
Joseph G. Ouslander, M.D.
Chair, Integrated Medical Science Department
Senior Associate Dean for Geriatric Programs